Thursday, May 3, 2007

Plattepus I

Three weeks ago I had this dream of paddling and poling across Nebraska, but no dreamboat. Now I have built a boat, though not much of one. Most FAQ: "Is that all?" Best description thus far: "It looks like a surfboard crossed with a boogey board, and that on hormones." At least I think she was describing the boat.

I designed it myself, though "design" is a bit lofty. Mostly I, with help from Lihua, a Chinese acquaintance, started by laminating common old everyday rigid foam insulation and then sanded and squinted and sanded and squinted some more until I was satisfied and, more to the point, out of time. Then we fiberglassed so that we could quit sanding and squinting. Yes, it was pink insulation, which I would not have preferred, all things considered.

Sixteen feet long and 32" wide, weighing 52 pounds dripping wet, it is supposed to float in about an inch of water, fully loaded. But then the Leaning Tower of Pisa was designed to not lean, and "fully loaded" is a phrase fraught with difficulties. We shall see.

Christened Plattepus I by my wife Tammy as she smashed a banana over the bow on May 3, 2007, it has already surpassed my expectations by floating. In addition, much to my surprise, it goes forward when I push on the pole. Steering and handling will hopefully come later, with practice. Within five minutes I had a long list of things I would change if I had it to do over again, which is a pretty good parable of my life experience. Sadly, I do very few things over again, wasting many valuable lessons. Perhaps you, dear reader, will request a copy of my "wish I'd done it this way" list and learn from my misadventures.

In the meantime, adelante.

7 comments:

Ina said...

What a privilege to be first! But then a lot of people aren't even up yet! (Well, I'm trying to be first. First attempt failed!) Love the pics! Love the blog! Love the writer who's going to have great calf muscles! Congratulations and bon voyage from your unsettled--unsettling?--Mom

C&J in Arizona said...

Why are we not surpised this is happening? It feels so natural. It has the excitement and experience of the jungle, except the absence of churning rapids. Eat well, sleep well, and pole even better. Enjoy the serenity of the river while we fight traffic on the streets.

MWΣ+ said...

We expect you to carry a gizmo capable of updating this space from the river. Entries could say things like:

Day 1: Not tired of poling yet.

Day 3: Ate the buzzard that took the first bite. Why does fresh buzzard not taste fresh?

Day 7: When nobody wanted to come with me I laughed at them, but who's laughing now?

Day 10: This is such an adeventure I think I'll turn around and pole right back up to the start again.

Tammy Hansen Snell said...

"Life is a great big canvas,
and you should throw all the paint on it you can." Danny Kaye

I love having the privilege of a front row seat for the colorful, uniquely (you-niquely!) wonderful creations you come up with!
Love,
Tammy

Mach said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
matt&tara said...

I know you've been doing this for a day and a half or so, and it probably isn't fair to guess now, but I'm saying MO RIVER BABY!

(I think Lake Mac at night, completely smooth might be the way to go.) (Or it might not.)

I'm still looking forward to reading the book from your journey last summer... Would you space out your adventures a little more?

Possibly wait until 2009 to take the Unicycle ride from Canada to Mexico?

Sherry said...

You have an entire fan club here in Scottsbluff who would love to catch a glimpse of you going by (or better yet, feed you something more nourishing than a dragonfly on a cracker)but we're unsure of your itinerary. I talked to Roger at the Star Herald and he said he thought you wouldn't reach the Bluffs until dark sometime this evening(Sat. nite)? If at all possible, he would know how to get ahold of me. Apparantly you neglected to mention to him that you're an author! Sherry